Westchester County has presented a plan to protect residents from the potential threat of Zika and other mosquito-borne diseases. The plan includes:
- Giving residents free minnows that can eat mosquito larvae in their backyard ponds and water features.
- Applying larvacide to catch basins on county and municipal roads, already covering half the county.
- Doubling the number of mosquito trap sites and adding a new type of trap to attract the mosquitoes that could transmit Zika.
- Targeting limited areas for ground spraying should a locally acquired case be confirmed or nearby mosquitoes test positive for Zika.
Use EPA-registered insect repellents when outdoors, and always follow the label instructions. Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeve shirts, long pants and socks. Don’t sleep with your windows open, unless the windows have screens in good condition. Prevent mosquito breeding sites around your home and visit the health department’s website for up to date health information, including our “Keep Healthy and Bug Off” brochure.
Objects around your yard or driveway could provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes, such as old tires, a watering can and a trash can lid. Dump them out, scrub them off to remove any mosquito eggs and put them away. It’s also a good idea to clear the leaves out of your gutters. Check your screens and repair any tears to avoid becoming a mosquito’s next meal.
The Health Department is giving away free minnows for backyard ponds and water features and free larvacide tablets (commonly known as dunks) for birdbaths, planter drip trays, rain barrels and unused pools today through Saturday at the Westchester County Airport, Loop Road, Building 2:
- Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- If you miss these dates, to get free larvacide tablets, call 1-888-364-4723.
Residents can report standing water in abandoned pools and elsewhere to the health department at (914) 813-5000.
For more information about Zika and other mosquito-borne diseases, visit health.westchestergov.com.