The ringing phones, constant emails, and important meetings can easily create stress at work. However, it can be managed with natural remedies you can bring with you and keep in your desk. You can control the stress in your life by making simple changes.
If you start feeling stressed, then reach for one of these solutions:
- Replace your soda or coffee with a water bottle. A study published in Psychosomatic Medicine from Duke University Medical Center found that caffeine compounds stress. Caffeine causes the body to release more stress hormones while changing how the mind perceives issues.
- You can enhance the flavor of your water with pieces of fruit like blueberries or lemon. Powdered water enhancers in a variety of flavors from grocery stores offer another way to change the taste, so the sodas won’t be as tempting.
- Use essential oils to improve your mood and decrease stress. Inhaling essential oils is a powerful way to enhance your well-being. They are easy to store in an office desk and can be used throughout the day.
- Lavender, chamomile, and lemon essential oils are commonly used to improve the mood.
- Sprinkle herbs on your lunch at work. Herbs can affect emotions, so adding the right ingredients to your food can help relieve stress. A couple of small bottles of herbs can be stored in your desk and used during lunchtime every day.
- Cardamom is a popular spice that can relieve stress by increasing the antioxidants in the body. It’s frequently used in Indian dishes, and it can be added to many meals.
- Lemon balm increases calmness and alertness. According to the study, “Attenuation of laboratory-induced stress in humans after acute administration of Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm),” this powerful herb decreases stress by reducing anxiety.
- Holy basil is part of the mint family, and it’s another herb capable of reducing stress. It’s not the same as the common basil added to pasta dishes or tomato sauces. Holy basil has antioxidant qualities which improve the mood.
- Use herbal teas to soothe your mind. Avoid the caffeine and stress that comes with coffee by choosing herbal teas. There are decaffeinated versions available in a variety of flavors.
- Native Americans used Passionflower for its medicinal properties, and it’s a strong stress reducer. Passionflower tea tastes mild and pleasant.
- Chamomile tea is a popular choice because it increases relaxation and is able to decrease anxiety.
- Green tea soothes the nerves with its antioxidant and L-theanine content. L-theanine is an amino acid linked to stress relief. Studies show it can change brain waves in a positive way.
- Add stress relieving objects to your desk. Offices are bland and boring, but desk decorations can add a touch of home and quick mental escape. They’re a fun distraction which is capable of cutting down the stress at work.
- Water fountains provide soothing sounds that contribute to a relaxing atmosphere.
- Zen gardens are often compared to toys, but they’re actually an ancient technique for relieving stress. Raking sand, organizing stones, and shaping the gardens clears the mind.
- Newton’s cradles are popular desk objects. However, the cradles offer more than a study of the law of conservation of momentum. They help relax the mind and improve focus.
Try these natural remedies to manage your stress at work. You’ll calm your nerves and lighten your mood.