Long Island City, NY – The Finishing Trades Institute of New York will conduct a recruitment from May 8, 2023, through May 19, 2023, for 75 Painter and Decorator (Structural Steel – Bridges) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for three recruitment regions – Hudson Valley, Long Island, and New York City regions.
Applications must be obtained, in person only, from the Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of extended hours on Wednesdays 5/10/2023 and 5/17/2023 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. during the recruitment period. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 750 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-served basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 750 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required at the time of enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must be physically able to perform the work required, as determined by a site evaluation and personal statement. More information will be provided during a mandatory orientation.
- Must be able to pass physical examination, at the expense of sponsor, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must take and pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship. Will be subject to random drug testing throughout the apprenticeship.
- Must sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to perform the work of a Painter and Decorator (Structural Steel – Bridges), which may include:
- Lifting and moving heavy equipment and/or paint weighing up to 70 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, and lifts which may exceed 100 feet in height.
- Must be able to hear and understand instructions and warnings in English.
For further information, applicants should contact Finishing Trades Institute of New York at (718) 937-7440. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.