The COVID Rent Relief Program will provide eligible households with a one-time rental subsidy that will be sent directly to the household’s landlord. Applicants will not need to repay this assistance. The application period will be open through July 30. The Covid Rent Relief Program is not first come, first served. Applications will be accepted throughout the two-week application period. HCR will prioritize eligible households with “greatest economic and social need” accounting for income, rent burden, percent of income lost and risk of homelessness.
The rental assistance payment will cover the difference between the household’s rent burden on March 1, 2020 and the increase in rent burden for the months the households is applying for assistance. Households can apply for up to four months in rental assistance.
Eligible households must meet the following criteria:
- Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, household income must have been below 80% of the area median income, adjusted for household size. You can find your county’s area median income, based on your household size: www.hcr.ny.gov/eligible-income-limits-80-ami-county
- Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, the household must have been paying more than 30% of gross monthly income towards rent. Gross income includes wages as well as any cash grants, child support, social security, unemployment benefits, etc.)
- Applicants must have lost income during the period of April 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020.
- See our FAQs below for more information.
To apply see the application section of this page below.
HCR has created a dedicated call center to provide residents with help Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. Call the COVID Rent Relief Program Call Center at 1-833-499-0318 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To begin your COVID Rent Relief Application, please use the button below:
MAIL-IN APPLICATION & RELATED DOCUMENTS
- Downloadable COVID Rent Relief Program Application
- COVID Rent Relief Program: Appendix A: Authorized Representative Release Form
- COVID Rent Relief Program: Appendix B: Tenant/Household Member Employment Attestation
- COVID Rent Relief Program: Appendix C: Tenant Rent Attestation
FOREIGN LANGUAGE APPLICATIONS
- See the Foreign Language Applications and Documents section.
*PLEASE NOTE – Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge/Explorer 11, Apple Safari or other modern browsers are recommended (Internet Explorer 10 and below is not supported).